There is no doubt that there are many advantages for moving to the cloud, as we have discussed in previous blog posts. With all the hype and noise surrounding cloud solutions, it is easy to get distracted from the most important issue – which solution best fits your business right now and moving into the future? As part a recent survey conducted by IDG Connect and cio.co.uk, it was revealed the use of third party datacentres or colocation is growing in popularity:
- 4 in 10 companies cited a major restructure, merger, change of premises or an acquisition as one of the main reasons for turning to a third party resource.
- 29% pointed to a lack of capital to extend their current facilities.
- 28% stated that their datacentres were not currently designed for the modern world of high density, heavily virtualised servers.
- 24% simply don’t have the floor space to keep extending and the same proportion said that they were running out of electrical power and that it was increasingly difficult to hit energy efficient targets based on current designs.
Netshield currently provides colocation services in our ‘out of city’, state of the art datacentre for many of our customers. Before making the important decision of whether or not to place equipment offsite, we are frequently asked to outline the benefits:
- Reduced costs – Rather than investing in backup generators, UPS and HVAC units and paying the ongoing expense associated with this equipment, we take on this responsibility, providing a secure datacentre environment that is scalable to the evolving needs of your business.
- Reliability – The peace of mind that you are guaranteed a 100% network reliability. When running an in-house datacentre, this can have its difficulties and related costs. Our network configurations are designed to deliver reliability, availability and uptime for you.
- Robust bandwidth – As requirements increase, colocation allows you to keep up with more complex applications, maintain service provider diversity and take advantage of volume pricing without the hassle of negotiating and managing multiple contracts.
- 24/7 local support – You decide how much control you need or want over your own equipment. Coupled with our NetManage solution, we have a remote hands service and onsite service to provide 24/7 management of servers, giving you assurance that there is always a professional at hand to assist you and manage your assets.
- Greater power capacity & redundancy – Our increased power capacity means that you can take advantage of this to introduce virtualisation and high density computing. Our constant, uninterrupted power supply means constant uptime and the knowledge that there is always a backup in the case of a power outage.
- Security & data protection – We have multiple layers of security including 24/7 onsite security, biometric and key card entry, cabinet/cage locks, CCTV. Your data and equipment is protected at all times.
- Business continuity & disaster recovery – In the event of a natural disaster or power outage, we can ensure your offsite servers, equipment and applications will remain available and operational. Even with the increased risk of a terrorist attack, our datacentre is located out of the city centre.
While the ‘cloud’ remains a hot topic, security seems to be at the forefront for many IT managers. It maybe that the cloud is not suitable for every application, perhaps that is due to compliance, specialised hardware dependencies, or the need for direct physical control over the IT environment – colocation is a strong alternative for overcoming these issues. Contact us today to find out more about our colocation services.